Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I can't choose between Salman and Akshay, says Sajid Nadiawala


It's three days before the release, what's going on in your head?
Every minute is tension-ridden. I am in such an emotional state that I can't sleep before 6 am. I'm feeling the pressure. Around the release, we become as vulnerable as babies and are sensitive to anything people say or do. I start crying at anything I feel touchy when people say the first and second half is too long or too slow. I am in a very fragile state of mind right now.

Why the gimmick of Hollywood stars in the film?
It's not a gimmick. We have stars like Sylvester Stallone, Denise Richards and Brandon Routh in Kambakkht Ishq as it is a Hollywood-based film. I could have cheated, saved money and got Indian actors but I felt Hollywood actors were required. We had many ideas รข€“ like even making Akshay a South Indian or Punjabi stunt man and take only South Indians or Punjabi stars but the Hollywood backdrop worked the best.

Admit it, you got Stallone in because you admire him.
Of course! Getting him on board was the biggest achievement for me. I cried the whole night after I first met him. I didn't know what to sign agreement or get his autograph first. Seeing Stallone on my monitor, having lunch with him, and hugging him after the shots, is a different high.

Why Denise Richards and not a younger, hotter actress?
We wanted the tag of someone who was actually a James Bond girl. There were other girls available but to Indians, Denise is a well-known name.

Is KI your most expensive film?
Yes, we've spent approximately over Rs 65 crore on it. We shot with foreign actors in Hollywood studios, and also at the Kodak Theatre one of the most expensive places in the world to shoot for two days with a crowd of 4000 people at a cost of Rs 1.5 crore a day.

A memorable action sequence of Akshay's in KI?
He's done many stunts but the one I remember was where he had to ride a jet ski. The Australian authorities wouldn't give us permission as the rider needs a licence, which Akki didn't have. So he got up at 4 am and started training. We were looking at him from far, would see him falling down but he still continued till 7 am. When he came out, he was shivering like a baby and I had tears in my eyes. Through the one-hour drive back, we wrapped him in hot towels and gave him hot drinks. He trained in his own spare time and ran a temperature, but not once did he complain. That's professionalism. The next day two people from the training center came to see if he'd fall. Had he, they wouldn't have let him to do the stunt. We were praying, but Akshay did it so well that we clapped!

Your equation with your rakhi sister Farah Khan was strained because of Jaan-E-Mann?
Yes, but fortunately things have become normal now between Farah and me. I know one thing the power of the mangalsutra will always be stronger than the rakhi. A husband will be always bigger than a brother. Shirish and I had our problems in production but nothing else. After Jaan-E-Mann, Farah was upset with me so we had become distant but with the passage of time, things are fine now.

Salman Khan delayed Jaan-E-Mann which made the film more expensive. True?
No. One or two sets costing over 30-40 lakh going over budget is not expensive. Times were bad and Salman compensated in a big way. He didn't shoot for any other film during that time. I will say till my last breath that he is not from this planet. For him, it's not about being a human being but about being human. For Salman delaying the film, increasing costs, coming late is ridiculous because he'll compensate in 10 other ways if he comes late. To talk about him with negativity is stupid.

Who are you closer to Akshay or Salman?
This is a very difficult question to reply I can't choose between Salman and Akki! Akshay has been with me since 1979 as we were in the same school together. My first break Waqt Hamara Hai was with him. Salman joined me in 1996 when Akshay and I hadn't worked together for 10 years as I wasn't making any action films. Akshay is an outstanding professional but my love for Salman has increased 2000 times since when we first met especially when we aren't doing films together because then we don't have any matlab in the friendship.

Isn't he upset that you have been signing Akshay for your productions?
No. Every film that I make with Akshay, is screened by Salman on the script level. So it's not like he learns about me making a film with Akshay one fine morning. Salman and my relationship is very honest, loving and transparent. Aki respects my sentiments for Salman.


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP